May 29, 2021 @ 9:00 am – 10:00 am
Calverton National Cemetery
Middle Country Road
FLAG PLACEMENT – 2021
CALVERTON NATIONAL CEMETERY
This pandemic year has caused a lot of re-adjustments to be made to our events; this flag placing event will be no different.
The National Cemetery Administration of the VA has issued the guidelines to all the national cemeteries under their jurisdiction for Memorial Day weekend events. The Director of Calverton National Cemetery has passed these guidelines to me so that all of the volunteers are informed. These protocols will only apply to the event this year; next year’s gravesite flag placement should be back to a more “normal” event, like we have been doing since 1995.
You will not be crazy about these changes and I do understand that.
1. There will be a “2-shift” schedule – Half of the Cemetery sections will start decorating at 9:00 a.m. and the other half of the sections will start at 10:00 a.m. That schedule is attached. This is a change from our usual 9:30 a.m. start for all groups in all sections. The Cemetery staff is still very nervous about having 3000 volunteers on their property at one time. This 2 – shift starting time system will alleviate some of their concerns and spread everyone out more. We will do this event safely. PLEASE adhere to this starting time schedule that was sent out.
2. Hand sanitizer will be provided by the Cemetery at all Flag Boxes. Volunteers are asked to prevent crowds around the flag boxes as best they can. It would be best if ONE person passes out the flag bundles at each box.
3. The “Thank-You” Ceremony usually done at 11:00 a.m. in the Assembly Area has been canceled. However, the Suffolk County Water Authority will still be providing a “water buffalo” on the circular road in front of the Assembly field. If it turns out to be an especially hot morning, you’re invited to fill up your water bottles before or after your assigned starting times.
4. Face coverings and masks must still be worn. Sorry, we’re on federal property and that’s their rule right now.
5. Make sure everyone has a copy of the Calverton map. That will be important so they know how to get to the section that they are decorating.
6. Individual Families can still take a single flag from the Flag Box up to 15 minutes before the scheduled starting time in that section. That is unchanged from the past.
7. The Pick-Up Day Schedule is unchanged. This will be an organized 9:30 a.m. start for all volunteers in all sections on Saturday, June 5th. Don’t forget to turn in your roster forms at the Assembly Area and pick up your participation patches.
The Calverton Cemetery Administration thanks you for being understanding with their concerns. They are very happy to welcome us back this year; they just want everyone to do this great service project safely.